Tuesday, August 30, 2011

On Required Religion Classes

I concur entirely with Prothero's vision in promoting world religion education. As an individual growing up in the Bible belt South, I can vouch for the illiterate nature of a large amount of so called religious groups. I found myself asking those same questions that Prothero proposed, such as the historical background of my church adn "why I believe what I believe." I think that the abilty to opt out would cover the tension felt by parents of devout faith who did not want their children exposed to different faiths. While teaching the already required subjects may be stressful enough for teachers, I still find world religion imperative to the future of not only America, but of the world. So that we may better understand each other, and more importantly ourselves. I think Prothero's explanation of the two types of discussion of religion is where most people's issues reside. Speaking in a secular point of view only allows room for more intelligent and nonbiased discussion. Unfortunately, because of the environment that we have individual grown up in, we have emotional ties to certain religions and take to them more passionately and sensitively and often causes conflict. I am also very concerned with the way that religion plays a role in politics as is. As much as our nation encourages seperation of religion and state, the fact of the matter is that religion will always play a role in politics, bacause religion is a part of people. it influences decisions and as long as man holds office, so will religion. Political figures throw around the Bible stories to capture the attention and pathos of the crowd. While I give them credit by employing this tactic, I agree with Prothero's call for them to be able to defend themselves and back their claims. Overall, I definately encourage the internal promotion of religious education and believe that it will assist in furthering the cause of progressiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment