Monday, August 22, 2011

The Tree of Life

Since I know that many of you will be looking over this blog before class begins (becuase I have invited you to it), I thought I would post something that I found interesting recently and that relates to our topic. I recently saw this film with Tina Plottel, our class librarian:


and found myself thinking about prayer, nature, creation, evolution, sin, death, life, mystery and God. At the end of the film, I looked at Tina and said, "I think he just took every prayer I have ever prayed and then made a film about it." And by prayer, I don't mean begging God for things. I mean what I once heard described as going out into an open field and "feeling a prayer." Whether you "pray" or not, if you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend it. If you have, feel free to post some of your thoughts in the comments section below about the film or about prayer or about anything in this post that strikes you as interesting...or not; you're technically still on summer vacation :)

2 comments:

  1. Professor Berry tells a true story. I actually saw this film twice: once at the AFI's Silver Theater, and once because I wanted to go with Professor Berry, too. My favorite thing about this movie was how gracefully the animals moved around in the background, like spirits (it also helped that one of the cats looked a lot like mine!). I also recommend this movie... it's like a moving image coffee table book. And it will fit in nicely when we talk about 2001: A Space Odyssey. I look forward to meeting everyone in about a week or so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen the movie yet, but the clip is stunning. Seems to permeate the message that however significant or insignificant our lives turn out to be, our continued existence is a miracle in itself. Looking forward to meeting both of you too! I love the background on your page, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete